Locating the Speed Sensor coupler:
- The ignition key should be in OFF position.
- Raise the rear wheel off the ground by using a stand.
Make sure the rear wheel spins freely.
- Remove the seat.
The Speed Sensor is usually located on the top of the gearbox and reads the revolution of the countershaft.
The 3-pole speed sensor coupler is situated 10-30 cm (4”-12”) away from sensor.
The connector is usually accessible by raising the fuel tank or removing a side fairing.
If the speedometer is driven off the front wheel, the sensor coupler is usually in the headlight bucket.
If in doubt, check the bike’s Service Manual or ask your dealer for the location of the Speed Sensor coupler.
Separate the Speed Sensor coupler (you might need to use a small flathead screwdriver to get the coupler apart). Rotate the rear wheel while the ignition is on.
The speedometer should indicate 0. If so, turn the ignition off and proceed to the next step.
Otherwise, if the speedometer registers a speed other than 0, you have not
disconnected the correct coupler and need to look again.
1. After separating the Speed Sensor coupler, plug in both the male and female 3-pole GFY harness connectors. Make sure the connectors are fully seated.
2. Locate the ECU (Engine Control Unit) box. It is a flat box with one or more multipin connectors. It is under the seat or behind a side fairing.
Find the following wire in the ECU connector:
CBR1100XX Yellow (Solid Yellow wire)
VFR750 White/Yellow (Solid White wire with thin Yellow stripe)
All other models Yellow/Green (Solid Yellow wire with thin Green stripe)
3. Peel off the black sleeve (tape) that is wrapped around the ECU wires, leaving about 3 cm (1.2”) of the cables exposed.
4. Connect the GFY Black/Green wire to this bike wire, using the Red wire tap connector supplied.
Usage: Place the unstripped bike wire inside the run channel. Close the
side cover until latched. Cut off the excess length, then insert the
unstripped tap wire (Black/Green) completely and check its position.
Insert the blade (u-contact) and press down by finger pressure. Then,
fully depress the u-contact with pliers. Close the hinged top cover until
5. Check whether everything is installed and working properly:
- Select Neutral and turn ignition On
The GFY display should count from 6 to 1, then “L” flashes slowly.
(If not, the display is not receiving power and/or ground. Check the
connections at the speed sensor connector.)
- Rotate the wheels - the display should indicate a rolling wheel.
(If not, the display is not receiving the speed signal. Check the
connection at the speed sensor connector.)
- Start the engine - “L” should flash faster for a few seconds.
(If not, the display is not receiving the RPM signal. Check the wire tap.)
Turn the ignition Off. If the tests still fail, disconnect the 3-pole connectors and check whether the connector pins are bent or pushed out of position. Spray some WD40 into the plugs.
6. Neatly route the GIpro harness from the 3-pole plugs to the mounting location, preferably along the frame.
Do not route the harness very close to the exhaust pipe or cylinder head.